Tuesday 5 November 2013

Luxurious yogurts that won't break the bank - perfect for an after dinner treat

Soooo I went to Tesco armed with my vouchers from BzzAgent for a mooch around their new Tesco Finest Range of cheeses and desserts.  I found the fridge of yogurts and mousse desserts very easily and was taken aback at the choice available.  So many flavours to choose from, from your basic fruity flavours of peach, raspberry and strawberry, to the more luxurious flavoured yogurts - Rhubarb and champagne, mango and green tea, rum and fudge....  The black and white packaging is plain, but somewhat eye-catching, and does actually scream 'luxury' whilst sitting in the fridge.  So, the question.

So, while I'm thinking about what flavours I'm about to choose, I'm also thinking about what would I like to know before purchasing this product?  Hmmm.  I'd like to know if they live up to the claims of it being one of Tesco's 'Finest' afterall, they have put their name to it.  I'd also like to know if they are worth the price, are they really creamy considering that most of the ingredients are cream?  Here's my answers to each of these questions.

I stood for 10 minutes whilst deciding on what flavours of yogurt I wanted to try.  The yogurts were on offer 5 for £3.50, and as my voucher was for £3 off when you spend £3 on Tesco Finest Yogurts, I decided to make the most offer and choose 5 of these decadent sounding yogurts to take home with me.

I chose 'Lemon Curd', 'Senga Strawberries and Cream' and 'White Peach'.  Peach and strawberry are 2 of my favourite flavours of yogurt, so they jumped straight into my trolley.  Lemon curd just sounded so different and refreshing so thought I'd give it a bash.  I wasn't too fussed on other flavours such as 'Rhubarb and champagne', 'Hazelnut', 'Rum and Fudge', these don't appeal to me, but I'm sure they would appeal to someone else.  I like to stick to what I know.  I am teetotal so I am afraid that these yogurts would taste too 'alcoholic' - ie champagne, rum, etc.



Anyway, for the taste test.  I tried the strawberry one first.  Ohhhhh.  This was very nice.  Thick, creamy, nice chunks of strawberry and very flavoursome.  It's thickness was very satisfying.  It's taste - very nice, full of flavour from the fruit and creaminess from the fresh whipping cream.  Gorgeous.



Second, I tried the White Peach.  This one was very nice.  Creamy, rich and generously filled with juicy pieces of peach.  Very tasty and very nice.  Definitely decadent and rich.  I'd definitely buy this one again.

Thirdly, I went for the Lemon Curd.  I hung on to this one because I was expecting it to be tart, sour and not very nice.  This wasn't the case at all.  It was creamy, thick and completely refreshing.  This has to be my new favourite yogurt.  Normally, I stay away from all things citrus as I don't like the acidic, sour taste of a lot of citrus fruits.  I was pleasantly surprised at this yogurt.  I like Lemon curd as a spread on my toast, so probably was attracted to this yogurt because of that.  I'm going back for more of these.  It was a refreshing finish as a dessert after my sunday lunch, and not too heavy.

All of these yogurts that I've tried are decadent, luxurious and taste so naughty. I'd recommend them to anyone who wants a treat, as an every day dessert, or maybe to surprise someone.  There are plenty of other flavours in the range, and I'm going back to Tesco this week, so who knows, I've been surprised by the Lemon curd flavour, so may go all out and try something else new.

So, the answers to my questions - Do they live up to my expectations of being luxurious and one of tesco's finest?  Yes, certainly.  They are so much more luxurious than your average yogurt, they definitely deserve to be up there with Tesco's finest.  They're definitely worth the price if they're only for a treat.  I think 5 for £3.50 is a reasonable price for a treat - so 1 a day as an after dinner dessert instead of a bar of chocolate, then why not.  As a yogurt to take to work for breaks etc (I take 4 of your bog standard, branded yogurts to work with me for breakfast, 2 x breaks and lunch) so certainly couldn't afford to take that many of these yogurts with me.  I'd also worry that they wouldn't be  good for me, considering they contain 250kcal per pot on average (lemon curd), so 4 of these would be over 1/3 of my RDA of calorie intake.  I'd definitely consider one a day though, probably as my after dinner dessert.  Are they creamy?  Yes definitely.  They're almost like a cream dessert than a yogurt.  I didn't detect a hint of sourness in any of the flavours, just a nice 'desserty' taste.  Some yogurts I've tried in the past have had a horrible, distinctive sour taste, which inevitably puts you off yogurts.  These are lush and worth a treat though.

I'm a bzzagent.  I received vouchers for this bzzcampaign which allowed me to try these products for free in return for my honest review and opinion.  #GotADiscount #Gotitfree

©Cheznal 06/11/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment